If you want to work in Enschede (or the rest of the Netherlands) you will need a work permit, a residency permit and a (Dutch) social security number. Lastly, you need to be registered with the municipality. Employees from the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland can come to the Netherlands to work without a residence permit. Their employer does not require a work permit. For more information about the Dutch labour market visit the website of the government.


The World Trade Center Twente has an Expat Center that can assist you with settling in the Netherlands as well as provide information about working in the Netherlands. For more information visit the website. The administrational office of the municipality of Enschede houses an Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst (IND) loket (in English: Immigration and Naturalisation counter). After making an appointment, you can pick up required documents at the administrational office in Enschede, and at the same time register with the municipality (even if you are not a resident in Enschede) and obtain the BSN number (Social Security number). On every Monday from 11:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Expat Center Twente will also be present at the IND counter in Enschede to receive and assist expats.


If you are looking for a job in the Enschede region there are a number of websites that provide an overview of the current vacancies. gives an overview of vacancies for the well-educated.